Traveling for work is a reality for many of us. Being away from family can be difficult, especially if it’s months at a time. It’s even worse when you have a pet. Trying to find quality, affordable care can be a chore, and boarding your pet can be stressful for the whole family. That’s why some choose to bring along their furry family member for corporate travel. But many hotels won’t allow non-service animals. Luckily, furnished housing for pets or pet-friendly apartments are easier to find these days thanks to the rise of furnished corporate rental listings by private owners.
Get Ready, Get Set…
Before you ever step out the door, there are a number of things to thing about.
- Look for CHBO pet-friendly apartments or homes that will guarantee that your animal will be welcomed.
- Be sure that your pet is healthy enough to travel by scheduling an appointment with your veterinarian. Getting a veterinary health certificate can ease your mind and in some cases, it’s required when an animal will be residing in a new state or country.
- An implanted microchip can make the process of finding a lost animal easier, but at the very least be sure you’ve updated their ID tags with your up-to-date contact information in your new location.
- Contact the airline or travel agent to find out the regulations for traveling with pets. You may need to contact the US Department of Agriculture or Foreign Consulate for more information. In some cases, your employer can assist you in this process, but be sure to clearly understand the rules for the places you depart and arrive.
- Be sure you’ve gathered their medicines and key documents like medical records, travel approvals, and health or acclimation certificates.
- Pets traveling in an approved kennel should have an accurate collar or chip, a bed or blanket that smells like home, favorite toys, and a water or food dispenser used in crates. The American Humane Association also recommends you do not tranquilize or sedate your pet as it causes all sorts of health risks.
…Where to Go? Finding Furnished Housing for Pets (And You!)
CHBO offers thousands of furnished properties all over the country, many of which are pet-friendly apartments. You can refine your search by selecting “Yes” under “Accept Pets” on the CHBO Search Page. Or, if you are searching all the listings in the location of your assignment, you can check the property features column on the right side of the properties main page where it says “Pets: Yes” to confirm.
Beyond simply accepting pets, you can go further by checking if the area around the property is pet-friendly. Are there dog parks, hiking, and green spaces nearby? Would your outdoor pet have room to run in a backyard or community area? Are veterinarians and pet supply stores close? These extras can make the experience even better for your pet.
There’s no need to leave your family pet behind when you are traveling for work. Do a little homework, find that perfect CHBO property today, and enjoy continued quality time with your pets in your new home away from home tomorrow!